PURPOSEThe Genesee County Home Improvement Program (HIP) and Urgent Repair Program (URP) are rehabilitation programs designed to provide financial assistance to low-income homeowners to bring their homes up to Section 8 Housing Quality Standards resulting in the home being decent, safe and sanitary.
- Genesee County Housing Rehabilitation Inspectors determine the rehabilitation items to be addressed under program guidelines.
- HIP repairs are whole-home repairs and may include roofing, windows, furnaces, wells, electrical, plumbing and more.
- URP repairs are limited only to the failure of one of the following systems - roof / furnace / well / septic system.
- You must be the owner-occupier of the property for a minimum of one year;
- Your home must be located in Genesee County but NOT in the Cities of Flint, Davison, Clio or the Villages of Lennon and Otter Lake;
- Home cannot be located within mobile home or manufactured home communities;
- Total gross household income must be within 80% of the Genesee County Median Income. Income includes the income of everyone living in the home that is 18 years of age and older;
- The mortgage payments, property taxes, and homeowner’s insurance must be current;
- Debt against the property must not exceed its value;
- Program participation is limited to one time only.
LOANThe type of loan is a Deferred Payment Loan (DPL) which requires no interest or monthly payments.
- Loan is repaid when the home is sold, changes from owner-occupied to rental, or possibly if the mortgage is refinanced;
- Loan is secured by a lien recorded against the property;
- This is not a cash loan - Genesee County selects qualified contractors and pays them on your behalf.
PLEASE NOTEThe information provided with your application may indicate that you are eligible for the program, but it does not make your property eligible for improvement. A Housing Rehabilitation Inspector will identify all required improvements. If the Inspector’s estimated cost for repairs exceeds the allowable amount, your project will not proceed.
For more information please contact the Genesee County Community Development Program at (810) 257-3010.
For your convenience, applications for the Home Improvement Program or the Urgent Repair Program are now on-line. Click here to apply!